The FA Carlsberg Trophy

Click here to have this article read to you. 

The FA Carlsberg Trophy Final

12 May 2012

The FA Trophy
Newport County 0-2 York City
The FA Carlsberg Trophy
The Final
3pm, Saturday 12 May 2012
Wembley Stadium
Winners receive £50,000 and runners-up £25,000 from The FA's prize fund

York City got their hands on The FA Trophy at Wembley on Saturday in what they hope will be the first of two victories under the Arch this season.

Two quick-fire goals in the second half from Matty Blair and Lanre Oyebanjo proved enough to see off the challenge of Conference rivals Newport County and secure a first piece of silverware for Gary Mills’ men, who will be looking to add another Wembley victory in eight days’ time when they take on Luton Town in the Conference Play-Off Final.

In many ways, this game will be seen as perfect preparation for the Minstermen as they overcame early nerves to run out deserved winners in the end and they should now approach next week with that Wembley experience under their belts.

They were certainly slow out of the blocks though, as Newport started the game on top and really should have taken the lead within ten minutes through Romone Rose, who broke clear of the last defender following Sam Foley’s dummy. His attempted finish was poor though, side-footing straight at York ‘keeper Michael Ingham with the goal at his mercy.

York weathered that early storm though and almost opened the scoring in the 23rd minute when Patrick McLaughlin struck a left-footer from just outside the area, which took a deflection to wrong-foot Glyn Thompson. Fortunately for the Welshmen, it rolled just wide of the post.

Rose came a little closer just after the half-hour mark, when he cut in from the left and fired in a shot from 25 yards which went narrowly over. Moments later, Nat Jarvis on the opposite side collected a pass from Foley before placing a curling effort just wide of the post.

McLaughlin was equally close at the other end, when a free-kick routine between Jason Walker and Ashley Chambers set up a shooting chance for the midfielder but his low drive was just off target.

With half-time less than a minute away, County were grateful to Thompson as his full-stretch save kept out Jon Challinor’s low strike at goal and ensured it was all square at the break.

The second-half began in much the same vein as the first 45 minutes, with neither side showing much in the way of productivity, but the deadlock was finally broken just after the hour mark. Defender Daniel Parslow won the ball back for City in his own half before chipping a pass forward over the Newport defence. Blair was quickly onto it from deep, beating Thompson to the ball and lifting it over him and into the goal to follow up his winning strike from the Semi-Final and celebrate in style with the City fans assembled behind that goal.

Seven minutes later and City had doubled their advantage, as Chambers skipped clear down the right before crossing into the centre for Oyebanjo to knock home from close range and put his side firmly in control and within touching distance of The Trophy.

Newport gave it everything they had in a bid to get back in the game and they were denied by the post in the 88th minute when Ismail Yakubu guided a header in a crowded box over Thompson, only to see it bounce back off the woodwork and out to safety.

That went to prove the luck just wasn’t with County on the day, but there was no lack of effort from them and their supporters certainly made that known at the final whistle with a rousing reception for Justin Edinburgh and his players before the Minstermen made their climb to the Royal Box to get their hands on The Trophy and it's a similar walk they will want to be making next weekend too.

Newport County AFC: 18 Glyn Thompson, 5 Gary Warren (c), 6 Ismail Yakubu, 10 Sam Foley, 15 Nat Jarvis (23 Jake Harris, 69), 16 Andrew Hughes, 19 David Pipe, 30 Lee Minshull, 31 Romone Rose (26 Elliott Buchanan, 69), 36 Lee Evans, 42 Max Porter (11 Darryl Knights, 80).

Substitutes not used: 39 Matthew Swan, 25 Paul Rodgers.

Manager: Justin Edinburgh.

York City: 24 Michael Ingham, 2 Lanre Oyebanjo, 3 James Meredith, 4 Chris Smith (c ), 6 Daniel Parslow, 9 Jason Walker (7 Jamie Reed, 90), 10 Ashley Chambers (18 Adriano Moke, 90), 17 Matty Blair, 20 Jon Challinor, 26 Patrick McLaughlin (16 Jamal Fyfield, 83), 27 Ben Gibson.

Substitutes not used: 1 Paul Musselwhite, 14 Michael Potts.

Goals: Matty Blair (65), 2 Lanre Oyebanjo (72).

Manager: Gary Mills.

Referee: Anthony Taylor.
Assistant Referees: Simon Bennett & Sian Massey.
Fourth Official: Darren Drysdale.

Attendance: 19,844

Help & Support

Visit the Guest Support Portal - Information, Help or Contact Us:

Wembley Stadium Online Store MPU ad


Get the Best Seats in the House

Find out more about Club Wembley



At Wembley we have rooms to suit all types of special events

More about venue hire >